Thursday, January 23, 2014

School Update

Just a quick update on Kindergarten...I can't believe how much the kids are learning!  I mean I can, they are smart after all, but it all seems so fast.  One of the best courses the school offers in Art In Action.  Every Friday the children learn about a new artist or cultural art and get the chance to make it themselves.  One of the first ones was VanGough.  To my surprise, Timo's pieces as chosen as the center piece of the art display! Apparently, and I'm no art expert, he did an amazing job on his painting with detail and proportion.  Of course I think it's a work of art simply because he's my son, but most of the art folks agreed as well.  It's something we are very proud of him for.
Here is Cameron's class doing their VanGough, they placed a vase of flowers in front of each of them.  And her painting.  She took liberties and added more vases to each side...she said one was too boring for her.
 I got to peek in on Cameron's class while they were making Kuchina Masks. I got to see Timo's mask too one it was put on their class bulletin board.
And not to be outdone by her brother, her skeleton was put on display for the Chinese bulletin board around Halloween...pretty good job, huh?
Both are still enjoying Chinese class...Cameron more so than Timo but I know he'll thank me later in his life, when he lands his dream job because he can read and speak Chinese!
We LOVE being able to walk/ride to school.  We just started riding bikes to school, which is huge accomplishment.   Because we live at the top of a hill, I told the children they need to be able to ride their bikes home, up the hill, before we could ride bikes to school...Mommy was not pushing two bikes up a hill every day.  Cameron passed the test first, soon followed by Timo...we're developing some powerful legs living in SF!
We have Spirit Day the lats Friday of the month, a few months ago it was Jersey Day.  Most kids wore bay area teams (Giants, 49ers) but not my little Tarheels!  Thanks to Granny, Timo and Cameron represent the Blue and White.
I chaperoned my first filed trip...to the new Exploritorium!  It was enough to cure me of the chaperon bug!!   Afterward the teachers were all saying the never again.  The new one is so big, so spread out and so crowded...I feel like we only saw about 1/4 of the place and we were there for 4 hours.  It was so hard to keep up with the four children I was responsible for but we survived and managed to have a little fun.  I was technically chaperoning for Timo's class but Cameron's teacher allowed her to go with our group.
So much to see and do!  The Exploritorium is just hundreds of science experiments...right up my kids alley. They each wanted to do every display, read all the instructions and take it all in.  Unfortunately the other two little boys didn't have they kind of patience so it was a struggle to maintain balance between all the different interest levels.  We did agree on a few things and really tried to take it all in.
Cameron was the only one brave enough to "drink out the toilet"!  A practice in getting over stigma...a toilet turned into a water fountain.
Timothy's class has a student of the day everyday and I got to sit in on Timo's day last month.  They lead the class in the going over the date, weather and attendance...and they also get to be first in line all day long, something Timo gets the most excited about!

No comments: