Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Frozen Sing-a-long

Sometimes you do things for/with your kids because you know they will enjoy them but, in the back of your mind, kinda dreading it and hoping it ends fast.  And then sometimes you are completely surprised at HOW MUCH FUN IT WAS and find yourself hoping it doesn't end.  Well, I had one of those times last Sunday at the much anticipated Frozen Sing-a-long at the Castro theater.
Let me start by saying we had to wait two weeks to see it because the first weekend we wanted to go it was sold out!  So that day I bought advance tickets for the following week to ensure we would get in.  A classmate of Cameron's had gone earlier in the month and warned about how long the line was, so I planned to be there an hour before the show even though we already had tickets.  Turns out I should have been there 5 hours before...the line was down the sidewalk and around the corner!  But it's a huge theater and we had no trouble finding seats once inside, whew!  And the wait outside wasn't so bad (except you're in the middle of the Castro and some things you don't want you child seeing walk past) because 90% was little kids all dressed up in Frozen costumes.  Cameron and Timo started singing the songs while we waited and before we knew it, about 20 kids joined in...we had a little pre-show entertainment.  And the excitement was building...
Secondly I have to say that the Castro Theater completely out-did themselves for the kids! (Anyone who knows the Castro probably isn't surprised but I was because they made it all about the kids)  The greeters were dressed up saying "Happy Coronation Day!" as we walked in and were handed goody bags.  We got a crown, bubbles, a popper and a glow stick.  Timo put his crown on and was Prince Hans...I think he forgot Hans was a bad dude.
What's a movie without popcorn?  The famous organist started playing Frozen and various Disney songs, so it was nice to snack to such sweet music.  Just hearing the Frozen music was causing bursts of singing from the kids...oh, the excitement was peaking....
 Then came the costume parade.  Oh my, the 30min long costume parade.  We saw Elsas, Anas, Hans, Chistophs, a Sven and even a few Olafs.  Cameron wasn't really dressed up but was wearing her Frozen t-shirt and got to walk on stage.
They explained a few rules, told us to please USE our cell phones the whole time to take pictures and enjoy the party.  We were to blow the bubbles anytime it was snowing, use the popper at the end when there were fireworks, wear the crown the whole time and wave the glow stick during all the songs.  It was basically a rave for kids! Finally, after about 45 mins of sitting, the movie started and the excitement level was what I can only describe as my first Def Leopard concert when I was 16! The crowd went CRAZY when the movie started.  The enthusiasm lasted from start to finish and was amazing!
I hope you can get a gist of the show by watching the videos.  Cameron was sitting next to me and it was dark so you can't see her but you can sure hear her, along with the whole theater.  Having 300+ kids screaming out the songs, saying the lines of their favorite characters, cheering in the good parts and booing when Hans came on, it was truly a magical experience for me...and I know the kids had fun too!  Another reason why we're lucky to live in SF and have such an event be so over the top just for kids. (side note, I would have made the videos longer but my phone battery was dying from texting Young the whole time telling him how awesome the party was!)





No comments: