Monday, November 28, 2011

Paris, Day 2

The second day we decided to explore the Le Madeleine area and tour the Louvre. One of the first things that came to our attentions was Christmas decorations were already up around town, this was the first week in November. It occurred to us that France doesn't have Thanksgiving so they really don't have a "mark" of when to decorate, I guess they just wait for Halloween to be over.
The first pastry shop we visited this day was Fauchon....oh boy! We were lucky they allowed us to take photos, so I took a lot! I was so excited to go to Fauchon, up there way above the Louvre or Eiffel Tower.
After looking over every single thing they offered with a fine toothed eye, I finally make my choice, we ordered and sat down to some of the most tasty treats and amazing chocolat chaud (hot chocolate)ever. The hot chocolate in Paris is more like chocolate with a little cream in it...so thick, so chocolaty, so rich and soooo yummy....


We moved on to pass the Place de Concord and over to Michel Cluizel's chocolate shop...wow!
And here is another chocolate shop I can't remember the name...but the caramels here were outstanding!
On to the Louvre! The line wasn't as long as I thought it would be and we were in in no time. Why is everything in Paris blowing my mind! It was one of the most beautiful museums I've ever been to.
I won't go overboard with all the art pics I took, just a few highlights.
Mona Lisa herself...and just look at the enormity of this painting. I had Young stand next to it to show proportion.



After a few hours of educating ourselves in art that I won't ever be able to remember, we had an early dinner at the museum cafe, Cafe Marly. On our walk back to the hotel, along the Seine River, the Eiffel Tower started it's "sparkle show". It has sparkly lights for 5 mins every hour on the hour...so sparkly! A beautiful way to end our evening.

No comments: