Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ti Kwan Do for Timo

So while Cameron chose gymnastics, Timo chose karate.  I looked all over for a program to put him in that would be a good fit and finally found the Korean Martial Arts Center teaching Ti Kwan Do.  It was perfect because one, it's Korean and two, Young is a black belt in Ti Kwan Do.  Yes, Young was quite the fierce black belt when he was in high school.  It's been great, Young can work with him at home and loves taking him to his class, trying to recapture his youth.  Timo loves the class and LOVES doing something special with just his Daddy.
Again, somewhat like Cameron's gymnastics, I feel like the first few weeks were more just trying to keep the kids entertained with moves rather than teaching/perfecting basic techniques. (they don't even give out uniforms until week 3)  Last week there were only two boys in the class, the teacher basically worked one and one with the students and I really saw improvement in Timo...as well as him telling me it was his favorite day so far.  I know these things take time and don't move as fast as I would like them to...hum, I wonder where Timo gets his impatiences from??  The head master has already told us it's about a two year journey to become a black belt!
Here is a short video of him "sparring" with Master Alex.  They spar at the end of each class to learn how to combine all the moves together.  I love hearing Timo yell "hup!" each time he attacks.


2776 from Sara ko on Vimeo.

No comments: