Monday, February 4, 2013

Young's 40th Birthday Weekend

OK, so we are back up and running.  Sorry for the long delay in posts, but we've had some technical issues the past few weeks but hopefully it's been resolved and I can get back in the swing of posting.  I can't think of a better catch up post than Young's 40th Birthday Weekend Extravaganza!  Yes, that's right, Young turned 40 last week and we made a whole weekend celebration out of it.

He started out on Friday night with his co-workers in an all night party...and when I say all night, I mean all night.  He didn't roll home until 2am!!  Does he think he's 29 again??  But he had a great time out with dinner and clubbing the night away trying to capture the energy of his youth.  He paid for it Saturday morning...
After a long day of rest, we had dinner plans with some of his closest friends in San Francisco on Saturday night.  Most of the friends he has known the whole 13 years he has lived here.  I wanted to make the occasion super fancy so it was a Black and White attire, which meant I had to actually wear and dress and put on make up!  Anything for my husband's big 4-0!  The funniest part was Cameron...she was just so mesmerized by me putting on make up.  She watched the whole time, asking questions, wanting to know everything I was doing.  And Timo kept telling me I looked like a princess in my dress!  I might need to wear dresses a little more often just for the attention...
We had dinner in the private dinning room of Acquerello and it was amazing!  The whole staff really went out of their way to make it such a special dinner.  Even down to the customized menus!  The table looked so elegant and the service was simply perfect...not to mention the food!  Every plate was cleaned for each course...not a drop of food was left.
We had five course and managed to squeeze in a cheese course.  Here are the scallops and veal dishes, perfection. I hadn't planned on cheese but they had such a great selection, we just couldn't resist.  Normally they don't take the cheese cart into the private dinning room but our waiter made an exception and wheeled the whole thing in.  My favorite was the truffle cheese coated in ash....mmmmmm

Birthday time!  I know, I know, you're thinking "you didn't make him a cake?"  My thought was you don't go into a four star restaurant and bring your own cake!  Obviously the pastry chef knows what they are doing and why forgo an four star dessert for a baked cake???  Young loves dessert sampler plates so that's what he got!
The Birthday song...

MVI 9240 from Sara ko on Vimeo.
Some of the classy gifts his friends gave...isn't he so handsome!!
Then Monday, Jan 28, was his actual birthday.  The kids had made cards for him and were super excited to give them first thing in the morning.  Timo's card said "Daddy, you are awesome!"
Young had planned on taking the day off work so we could go to Napa and spend the day while the kids were in school.  But both he and I were coming down with major chest colds, feeling progressively worse as the weekend wore on.  By Monday morning we were ready to crawl back in bed and try to ride ourselves of the horrible coughing symphony we had going on.  We talked about maybe just taking in a movie but then decided to pull ourselves together and go enjoy his birthday.  You only turn 40 once, we had a whole day without the children and he didn't have to work.  We mustered up the strength and headed for our favorite winery in Napa, Domaine Carneros.  They even poured us a few extra glasses for free to help celebrate!
We had lunch reservations at Redd and had yet, another fabulous meal.  It was great spending the day with Young, all day, but I must say, we were not at the top of our game.  Young was starting to get feverish by the end of lunch and slept the whole way back home.
Cameron insisted Daddy have a birthday cake so we headed to a bakery to get a cake.  She picked out the chocolate/coffee/hazelnut one because she knew Daddy liked coffee, chocolate and nuts.  Did I really put the 4 on backwards??  Shows you how tired and sick I was feeling!  But we managed to enjoy the evening and wind down the festivities making Daddy feel very special.  Timo doesn't like chocolate so we got him a cookie...he loved that it turned his tongue green!
I love you Smaries, your are an amazing father and husband, and I can't wait to spend the next 40 years with you!!

1 comment:

Leigh Anne said...

So THAT'S where your blog title comes from - LOL! Do explain! Glad y'all had a nice grown up weekend to celebrate. It's nice to remember how you got started. Jon turns 42 today, and his first present is dinner and dancing with Emilie at the Sweetheart Ball. His second is dessert with me! He's a happy daddy! LA