Friday, February 21, 2014

Birthday Celebration!

The twins' birthday started a day early with cards bearing money from Great Grandma Cameron and Harmony and Harbachi. I love the message written to them in Korean from Harmony!
In like years past, I try to find a balance between Valentine's Day and Birthday...so it was a few Valentine treats for them and cards from Granny and Grandpa before their birthday breakfast of cinnamon rolls (a treat for a school morning)
They rushed to get dressed so they could open one of their birthday gifts before school.
Timo had asked for a skate board from Santa but I thought it he was getting enough so I got it but held onto it for his birthday.  He even said "Santa forgot my skate board..." on Christmas morning.  So he was supper excited when he opened his birthday gift!  And Cameron asks for roller skates every time we see the skaters in the park on our Sunday bike rides, so I knew she would love them.  We had a few minutes before school to take a test run...long enough to realized balancing on wheels is much harder than they thought!
At school the birthday kid gets to wear special hats all day, how fun!  I had to volunteer in the library that morning but hurried to Cameron's class for lunch to celebrate with her class with a special Valentine's lunch party.  The children ate and exchanged Valentines...I love Cameron's little Valentine pouch she made.
I then had to hurry over to Timo's class as they were coming back from lunch to have their Valentine ice cream party.  They exchanged Valentine's as well...I love how Timo just carried his pouch around his neck and got right to business of pass out his cards.
Cameron really wanted to be with Timo when his class sang Happy Birthday and her teacher graciously allowed her slip out of class for a few minutes.

Timo and his best friend Kane enjoying their ice cream treat..or rather just berries and gummy bears for Timo.  Whew, what a day!  Having two kids with birthday in two different class makes for one busy Mama!
They also had a little celebration for them in their afterschool Chinese class but I was kinda of a rush to pick them up I didn't get pictures.  I had plans to take them out to dinner for tacos (their new favorite food) and we had to get there early before all the Valentine Reservations came in.  We headed down to Cilcia's and I brought another gift for them to open...this one I knew would be a hit!
As you can see, the problem with opening a very exciting gift in a restaurant...they had trouble keeping their excited voices in check.  Rainbow Loom is all the rage at their school.  For a few weeks they both have been coming home with these bracelets other kids make for them or random tiny rubber bands they find. They taught themselves how to make the bracelets with their fingers but had been asking for the whole kit so they could make a necklaces.  The day before Cameron informed me she was using her birthday money to buy a Rainbow Loom, so I knew these would be a cherished gift. (Thanks to Emily Kapic on the Bandaloom tip!)
I had to be firm and and require dinner be eaten first before the looms were busted out so they enjoyed their special birthday Strawberry daiquiris (virgin) and literally inhaled their tacos!  I've never seen Timo eat so fast.
Then they got down to looming while I leisurely finished my dinner.  (Young couldn't join us...the price of being your own boss!) Wow, how quietly they occupy themselves with the looms!!  At least 30 whole minutes without a word!  A mom sitting with her two boys next to us came over and was giddy that I had twins and that their birthday was on Valentines.  She also showed us her loom bracelets that her boys, 7 & 9, made her.  Good to know boy embrace it too.
The restaurant then came out signing Happy Birthday in Spanish and brought an ice cream with a candle in it. The only problem was they only brought one and put it in front of Cameron.  I guess our waitress got confused and didn't know they were twins.   Timo got a little upset, understandably, and Cameron was a little taken back by the loud singing and couldn't figure out what was going on.  But it all worked out in the end because it was ice cream with chocolate sauce and Tiimo doesn't like ice cream or chocolate sauce...he brushed it off and quickly went back to his looming...
We got home and the children got to open their last gift (something I got for Christmas and stashed so well I just found it a few days before their birthday!)  Anatomy books on a shark and T-Rex!  We spent the rest of the evening reading about shark's teeth and T-Rex brains...perfect way to end birthday for my two little scientist!

No comments: