Monday, September 24, 2012

Superheroes for God!

Since school started, our whole routine has been altered and we're on a new schedule.  I was having trouble having an "organized" bible study with the kids at bedtime so I decided to move it to after school...when they are still in that learning mode.  I also wanted to do something a little more sturctured, instead of just reading a story out of  the bible and talking about it.  I did lots of research online and came across this amazing woman's website.  http://impressyourkids.org/.  I love all her ideas and settled on the Super Hero series....can you guess why?  Since I'm not that super creative in this area, and at least for my first attempt at "home Bible school", I'm doing pretty much exactly what she did, not much variation.  I hope, as I get more studies under our belts, I'll be able to create my own.

So, a few weeks ago we started Being a Super Hero for God!  because God is our ultimate hero.  The umbrella verse of the whole series is 1 Timothy 4:12 
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young,
but set an example for the believers,
in speech,
in life,
in love,
in faith and
in purity.
I really like this verse because of the practicality of the twins being so young.  And I love what it says about being example and then list very real ways the children can act out their faith.  Not all of their friends come from Christian homes but this verse show easy, tangible ways they can show Jesus' love to friends that don't know Jesus.

We started by making our super hero crests.  Each week we'll tackle a different quality...speech, life, love, faith and purity of a believer with a verse and crafts or activity.  At the end of the week the kids get a badge to put on their crests.  Here are our crests!  Timo and Cameron are so excited to start this series...can you tell.

I also got a new bible for the kids.  I think it's pretty fitting for them.  I really like this bible because it's a scripture bible but brings out the "stories" for kids to understand.  So far they have really liked it.  They ask us to read the bible out of this one now but we still use their picture bible as a reference of photos to match story we're reading.  But I love reading scripture...so much more details.
 Ok, we're up and running!  I'll try to post each week with our verses and activities...stay tuned.

No comments: