Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Swimming

I'm so proud of Timothy and his accomplishment in swimming. They both have been taking swimming classes since April but it's taken Timo a LONG time to warm up to the idea of sticking his face in the water. I really think it goes back to him falling in a pool when he was 2 and I had to jump in to save him. Even though he doesn't remember it, that fear of going under water has to be lingering in his subconscious. So it's been very challenging, to say the least, to get him past that big hurdle and to swim class each week.  But he has quietly been practicing when he thinks no one is looking. He tells me not to watch him while he's in the bath tub...but I peek in and find him sticking his face in the water over and over again. He tell me before each class that he will try to be a big boy and not be scared, even though fear sometimes get the best of him.  And the teachers at La Petite Baleen were so amazing in taking him separate from the class and working with him, step by step.  He knew all the motions to swim, just couldn't put his face under water...until two weeks ago!  I love this picture, the teachers arms in the air cheering for Timo as he reached the platform swimming, face in the water and without a floaty!
And one he broke that barrier, there as been no stopping him.  He completed all his tasks to reach get his green ribbon and catch up to the rest of the class in just two weeks.  Such a happy day for him!!  I'm so proud of all his hard work, even though he didn't know I was watching...
Here is a short video of him swimming on the day he got his ribbon...It was amazing to see my scared little boy become a big boy, face his fears and learn how to swim.  Yes, I was teary eyed.

And I LOVE Cameron's excitement over Timo's swimming. She is smiling so big, squeaks out a little giggle and gives him a little pat on the head as he gets out of the pool. Such the little encourager.  And she has been doing so good too...except when she gets water in her goggles.

Cameron has been working really hard to get her next level ribbon, blue. She loves swimming!I think her enthusiasm for swimming has been a big factor in Timo being able to accomplish his goals.  She may be a "little" sister but she has been a big support to her brother.

No comments: