Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cuitest Patient

We had a very traumatic day (at least for me) last week...Timothy had another one of his asthma attacks in the morning and I had to take him to the emergency room. He started wheezing the night before and we started his inhaler. By the next morning his wheezing was worse and not getting much better with a few puffs of his medication. Around 9am I called to get him in to see a doctor but they only had afternoon apts and I wasn't comfortable waiting. Long story short...we ended up spending about 5 hours in the ER. Three enebulizer treatments later, Timo was breathing much better and loving all the special attention he was getting.

In my haste to leave, I didn't have time to find a sitter for Cameron so she was right there with us. Luckily I was able to get some friends to come to the hospital and watch her in the waiting room while I was with Timothy. All the action did fall during their nap time...and leave it up to my kids to never miss a nap! Here they are sleeping on Timo's bed in his room. I ran down to the cafeteria and got them some lunch while they slept. We had a little picnic lunch on the bed of french fries, string cheese and chicken soup.

The enebulizer treatments required me to hold a hose in front of Timothy's face so he can inhale the steam. The first one went OK, the second one not so easy and the third was nearly impossible. I got the bright idea, knowing how much he loves wheels, to let him play with the wheels on the stroller..worked like a charm.

The kids only have pacifiers in their cribs but I carry some in my diaper bag for emergencies...this was one of those such cases. All in all it was a long day but I'm glad Timothy is breathing better. The doctors aren't sure what triggers his asthma attacks but it's something I think we're going to have to deal with for a few years...poor guy.

No comments: