Friday, July 10, 2009

Saying Goodbye and See Old Friends

This past week we attended the memorial service of our good friend and pastor, Phil Busbee. It was an awesome service with lots of great memories shared by people from different periods of his life. We had the pleasure of having Phil as our Senior pastor at FBC for 10 years. Needless to say, he had a profound effect on the people of San Francisco and the people of our church. It was so moving that so many friends that have moved on from San Francisco came back for the service. In the mist of our grief, we were able to turn to these good friends as a source of comfort and find celebration...it was Phil that brought us all together as a family.

I wasn't able to take a whole lot of pictures with our friends because I was chasing the kids around. There was child care provided during the service but the service lasted WAY past their nap time....I had two very hungry and cranky babies on my hands by the time the service was over. The kids were trying to eat and run all around while I was trying to visit and catch up with different people.

One family I definitely wanted to get a shot with was the Kapics and their triplets! Danny and Emily came down from Sacramento, bring all three of their little ones with them. The twins were born just a few weeks after the triplets so Emily and I have been in constant contact over strategies on raising multiples. All the kids were playing so well together when we went to pick them up in child care...but needless to say, once they all saw Mommy, complete melt down. We tried our best to get a good shot but all the kids were at their limits. Here we are, 5 on 2!! It was so great to meet Fletcher, Parker and little Bailey! We keep up with their blog as well (http://www.thekapics.blogspot.com/) but so it was fun to meet everyone in person. I feel like I knew each one of them even though we just met them for the first time. We definitely have to plan a road trip up there for a major play date!!

Young's best friend, Daryl, came up from San Diego and stayed with us for a few nights as well. It was great to catch up with him but we missed his wife, Mindy, dearly. Some other friends came up from Half Moon Bay and we were able to all have dinner together...John, Susan and their son Parker. John was our youth minister while at FBC. We had a great time sharing stories of Phil, laughing and catching up over dinner.

I wanted to include one more picture of Phil. Over the past weeks, I have been remembering and trying to hold on to each memory I have of Phil and the impact he has made on our lives. One thing I'm most sad about is our kids will never get to meet such a great man of God. Phil was such a man of prayer and taught me how to have the most intimate relationship with Jesus through that...I only hope I can impart that on to my children. As I thought about that, I remembered their Baby Dedication Day and how Phil spoke profound words for our children and prayed blessing on them and us as a family. I quickly shuffled through all our photos to find some of that special day. Here is one I really like, showing Phil praying with a smile on his face! Glory!!

1 comment:

The Kapics said...

We loved seeing you guys and meeting the kids! We will miss Pastor Phil too!