Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Timo's Boo Boo

We had a little scary fall the other night with Timo and he got a nice little gash on his forehead. We were at our family night bible study group and the kids were being especially rambunctious. Young was working late so I had the kids alone and was having trouble keeping them out of trouble. They seemed to be in everything and I was feeling that we were being disruptive to the whole group. Just to show you a mother's intuition...I made them comment that we should leave early because I felt we were distracting everyone there. All those who heard insisted that we stay, "they are just kids", "we all understand", etc...so I reluctantly decided to stay. About 2 minuets later Timo took a big fall and cut his his head. I knew we should have left when I felt we should have.

But nonetheless, I ran over, scooped him up and saw his face covered in blood. Now anyone who knows me, knows what a weak stomach I have. Ugh, it was so hard to look at, so hard to hear his screaming and so hard not to cry myself...I came close several time. Everyone quickly gathered around to help...one got the first aid kit from her car, the 2 nurses in our group began working on his head and another mom was right behind me to lend moral support to my fragile emotional state...even though Timo recovered pretty quickly and was way more fascinated by all the attention than he was his pain.

The gash was pretty big by baby standards so we decided to take him to the emergency room for stitches. After contacting Young, coming home, getting a sitter for Cameron (thank you Alexis) and finally making it to the ER, it was about 9pm at night...on a Friday night. Needless to say, it's not the best day or time to be waiting in the ER. After 2 hours of waiting, at around 11pm or so, we decided Timo would have to live with a scar and we headed home. We talked to a nurse at one point and she said we had about another 2 hour wait b/c ambulance emergencies kept coming in taking the ER rooms. At 11pm Timo was extremely over tired, couldn't sleep b/c of all the noise and bright lights, we were tired and it just didn't make sense to stick around for a few stitches. I hope he doesn't recent us for it one day! But he is doing fine now. Although he hates band aids, hates having them put on so we have to hold him down each night to change the dressing on his head...what kid doesn't like band aids???

No comments: