Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Asthma Strikes Again!

We had a sick little boy most of last week. He caught a little summer cold, innocent enough, and was stuffy and snotty for a few days. But then one morning he woke up and it had moved to his chest...reeking havoc on his little lungs again. This is how he was most of the time, just lying on the sofa with his monkey...I knew something was wrong. We ended up at ER once more with breathing issues. I had flash backs of our last ER trip all over again as they used the nebulizer on him to help open his lungs up. His blood oxygen was at a good level so we were sent home with a rescue inhaler and a new prescription for his asthma medicine. Of course Young was out of town during all this, so I put Timo in bed with me that night so I could better hear him breathing...and I'm so glad I did! He woke about every 2 hours coughing and having trouble breathing...thank goodness for the rescue inhaler. It took about 48 hours for to get him breathing comfortable again but was soon back to his active self again. He still had a lingering cough for a few days and would ask for his "puffs" each time he coughed...guess he put two and two together...puffs makes my cough all better!

So we're back on our asthma medication...bummer. His pediatrician took him off his inhaler when he turned two because he was doing so well, I thought he had outgrown it. But here we are again...puffing away twice a day. At least now Timo likes to "help" press the inhaler and will help us count to 5 while we inhales it!

Cameron was very happy to have her brother up and at 'em again. It almost seemed like she didn't know what to do with herself while he was down. She kept bringing him a toy or stuffed animal and reminding me that "brother is sick"..."brother needs kisses." And she was so good in the ER room while Timo was getting all the attention. We ran out of the house so fast that I didn't have time to pack any activities or snacks for her but she just sat there quietly and watched. I honestly believe that when one is sick, the other knows something is wrong and has a spirit of nurturing and calmness about them. Amazing how the Lord crafted the bond of brothers and sisters!

No comments: