Tuesday, November 16, 2010

San Diego, Day 3

Day 3 was a bit of a down day for Daddy...he got pretty sick and ended up staying in the hotel all day. It was a beautiful day and I had planned to take the kids swimming in the pool but since Young was sick, I thought it best to leave him alone as long as we could so he could rest. So we took off for Balboa Park once again, this time to the San Diego Museum of Natural History!
This museum was fantastic because of all the animals and dinosaurs. Like the other museums, most everything was interactive. The kids could turn, crank, push buttons to make something happen. Here they are feeling the plates of a dinosaur and watching baby dinos hatch out of eggs.
They wild kingdom room was super cool because of the cave, life sized animals and all the microscopes to look through. There were also lots of skeletons in this area, so many cool bones and fossils!




There was a live snake and lizard display going on that completely freaked me out...and Timo wasn't such a fan either. But not my little fearless daughter...she loves snakes and would just stand at the glass and talk to the them.
I loved the little dino play area. They had all types of dinosaurs, a mountain play area, books and a great rug that the kids could not get enough of. We spent a better part of our time just in this little area...although I was itching to see more bones!
I did something at this museum that I NEVER do...bought the kids a toy at the museum store. I thought I got a discount because of my museum associates membership (admission was free) so I took them in to pick out a little dino since they loved playing with them so much...but the dinos were $12 each! I immediately directed them over to the $5 rubber snakes and let them pick out one, only to find out I didn't get a discount! Oh well, live and learn. But the kids sure did love their new snakes! Timo making snake shadows on the way to the car.
Since I wanted to give Young as much rest as possible, I cut into nap time a little and took the kids for a walk through the rose and cactus gardens. Such beautiful flowers and amazing cactus...some I've never seen before. The kids were VERY careful walking around the cactus, Timo kept saying "I walking slow, I don't want a boo boo".
Unfortunately this ended up being our last day in San Diego. We had planned on staying two more days but because Young got sick, it wouldn't have been any fun with him stuck in a hotel room. Boo hoo! But we made the most of our trip and had a blast while it lasted!

No comments: