Monday, October 24, 2011

Can I Get Some Help, Please??

So the word G.U.N. has made it's way into our house...much to my strong, strong disapproval. It started so innocently this summer while playing with water guns with their older cousins. Then seeing some older boys play "combat" at the playground, running around shooting with fake guns...that really didn't help much. Timo had found a whole new world of boy toys. I managed to get him to start calling them "shooters" instead of "guns"...just hearing my little boy say that word made me cringe! Now Timo has taken to "shooting" in a big way and has been obsessed with them. He can turn anything into a shooter....he was playing with his Lego's and figured out how to piece together a gun and how to hold a Lincoln log like a shooter...ACK!

I really worked overtime to talk to Timo about shooters being for grown ups, not very fun to play with, there are lots of other toys that are more fun to play with...so on and so on. And luckily, like most things, it was a phase and now he hardly says anything about guns...until last week when he opened his policeman safety coloring book a very nice policeman gave them. Looks innocent enough, huh?
He opened it up and got so excited to see this...ugh! Come one, can I get a little help, please!!!

1 comment:

Leigh Anne said...

Boys will just be boys, I guess! Jon talks alot about how much his Mennonite father vehemently tried to keep violence, guns, etc. out of their brood, to no avail. Despite there being no store-bought guns, they made them out of sticks, used their fingers, etc. Yet they all turned out to be law-abidin', peace-lovin' citizens. I imagine the more you make of it, the bigger deal it will become. Good luck! -LA