Friday, April 26, 2013

Happy Earth Day

I know Earth Day was earlier this week, but as usual, I'm a little behind my posts. But we did celebrate Earth Day last Saturday, at home doing some spring planting. Timo had been asking about sunflowers so I thought we should plant some this year in the back yard.  We pick out sunflowers, some pink flowers and some red flowers (don't' remember their names) to plant in a little block on our sunny side.  We cleared the area of weeds, made rows and started planting.  I told them it will take a few weeks before the seedlings start sprouting but it just falls on deaf ears...they ask almost every day to go check to see if the sunflowers are out of the ground yet.
We also moved my large sage bush and planted a small hydrangea plant too.  I've wanted one for a while so we pick up a pretty one at the nursery while getting the flower seeds.  Once everything was in the ground it was time to water, the best part according to Timo.
Timo decided he needed to move some dirt around afterwards...he tried his hand at using the big shovel. I think they were trying to dig down deep enough to look for worms, I know they found a few.  They started a "worm farm" in the bucket, keeping all the worm friends together.  I guess that's what Earth Day is about, getting outside, getting dirty and doing something good Mother Earth.

No comments: