Monday, October 25, 2010

Ardenwood Historic Farm

By far, the best Fall activity we've done so far is a place called Ardenwood Historic Farm in Fremont. This is a working plantation farm that is now a state park. They have all kinds of events year round and I've always wanted to go check it out (you know me and historic sites!). I was checking online and found out they were having their Harvest Festival in Oct...so I put it on my calender of things to do!

All I have to say is...I can't wait to go back next year when we can stay all day! We did so much in just 3 hours but there was so much more to do, I was so sad to leave. But here is a little taste of what we were able to participate in...

First off, all the workers/volunteers were in period dress so it was super cool for the kids to see. I was bummed when I got home and realized I didn't really get any pics of the costumes...but I'm sure you can imagine it. And the kids loved seeing all the different tasks that happen on a farm...like spinning cotton into yarn, blacksmith, period music and ice cream made by hand!
Of course it wouldn't be a farm without animals and tractors..

We then headed out to the corn fields where you could pick your own corn...pop corn and Indian corn. As much as you wanted for FREE! They were giving out the big burlap bags and folks were filling two and three bags! We were about an hour or so getting to the fields and we had to walk a little far into the corn to get some good, colorful ears, you could tell lots had been picked already. And the kids had a bit of a hard time navigating through the rows and rows of corn...but the fun of shucking the corn was well worth it! We got just enough to bring home...Young made a door decoration and I made a center piece for our table...not bad, huh?


We stopped to pump water (much harder than it looks) and then off to ride the train...

The train ride round out two hours of activities and we decided to head back to the car for a little picnic before hitting the pumpkin patch (tomorrow's post, way too many pics). But I was so bummed to be leaving...there was still so much to see and do...apple cider press, oatmeal cookie baking, honey making and the plantation house tours! I hear they have a beautiful Christmas season there, so I know we will be back!

No comments: