Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The SF Zoo

Last Wednesday was the first Wednesday of the month which meant free day at the SF Zoo which means the Ko clan was there! Typically we barely see any animals when we go, simply because we head straight for the train, then the merry-go-round, pet the goats in the petting zoo, have lunch at the picnic tables by the playground and then spend the rest of the time playing there. It's been our MO basically every time we go, so this time I decided we would actually see some animals...go figure, huh?

Timo was asking about the train from the time we got out of the car. I cleverly told him there was a new path to get to the train...a path that went by the giraffes, penguins, monkeys, polar bears and a hippo! I even gave him a map of the zoo and showed him how to get there...via my way. And yes, we saw a few animals but sadly, the SF Zoo isn't the best zoo. I felt bad for most of them...they just looked so bored. But I do have to say that the giraffes and zebras looked super impressive. What amazing animals God created!
Giraffe ears. Timo couldn't quite get in the middle...
The new hippo looked especially sad in his little tiny pool of water. We watch him for a long time and it never moved...just raised it's head up and down out of the water...
After an hour of Timo asking "where's the train?", we abandoned my remaining animal trek and headed to the train...my little boy does love his trains.
We met up with our friend Mila at the prairie dogs...three big ones popping up! We are bummed that she started preschool this week, so last week was our last little play date with her. Have fun at school Mila!
Then we spent some time at the insect house being spiders and butterflies!

It was starting to get pretty windy outside so I knew our time was short. We all had a little picnic lunch and per Cameron and Mila's request, we played the remaining time on the playground. Cameron spent most of her time at the swings. She still likes the baby swings because she can go much higher and be a little more reckless in the seat...my little girl does love to swing!

Timo doesn't like the swings...never has. But he does love to follow all the older boys around at the playground and try to be just like them. So there was the group of three older boys (5-6years) swinging while Timo just watched. Then I noticed he had slowly moved into a swing of his own and was asking me to push! Of course, one tiny little push and he got scared and had to come out, but at least he tried...I managed to snap a picture of the quick, but monumental moment.

Yay for free days, swings and trying something new!

2 comments:

Sharona said...

I love how they're too small to fit in the giraffe ears and butterfly wings! You'll have to make this an entire photo sequence every time you go, capturing their growth. It would be so exciting the day they're big enough to fit! Which reminds me...how's that growth calendar going?? Hmmmmmmmm?

Matt and Lauren said...

Your kids are too cute. I have to bribe my kids to get out of the swings!