Thursday, August 23, 2012

Olympic Fever

Olympic fever was alive and well in our house this year. I love the Olympics. When I was a teenager, I told my parents I was going to be a runner in the Olympics one day...and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Cameron announced to me that she too wanted be a swimmer in the Olympics one day. After a few days of watching, she announced she also wanted to do gymnastics, ride the horses, run track, diving and riding her bike!  You go Cameron!

Each day we would watch a little of the Olympics in the mornings and they kids would act them out the rest of the day.  Gymnastics were big.  The flipping and tumbling were getting a little out of control, I was doing more spotting than taking pictures.  But here is Timo vaulting.
Swimming was another favorite. I was so glad when the swimming was over because our bath tub was turned into an olympic swimming pool! Here the kids are practicing their back stroke!Trying to get off the starting blocks...

One day we were treated to weight lifting, so each one walked around picking up things, pretending to be weight lifters.
Timo brushing up on his javelin while Cameron practices her equestrian on her stick pony...Pinky.
One of the unexpected highlights for them was the rhythmic gymnastics.  Here Timo is trying to spin the hoop around his arm while balancing on one leg...
The only part I didn't like about letting the kids watch the Olympics were the commercials.  It's something you don't even think about but kids notice everything.  I feel like they showed every cop show, soldier, gun shooting commercial there was.  These only fueled Timo's gun passion even more...great.  But hopefully he took in more about the games than he did the nonsense violence of the commercial.  We were sad when the Olympics ended but look forward to the next summer games in four years!

No comments: